2010 Gordon Murray T.25 Concept
It is the new city car, the Gordon Murray T.25 Concept. Gordon Murray Design was established in 2007 to develop an innovative and disruptive automotive manufacturing technology trademarked iStream® and the design and prototyping of the T.25 city car was central to both the development and validation of iStream®.
The iStream® design process is a complete re-think on high volume materials, as well as the manufacturing process and will lead to a significant reduction in full lifecycle CO2. From our analysis the iStream®process can be positively qualified as the most promising manufacturing process development in the car industry of the next decade.
T.25 USP’s and Key Features
* The T.25 represents a major breakthrough in City Car design and is a vehicle that has been optimised through design for strength, performance, weight, cost, safety, usability, tooling, quality, energy efficiency, recyclable and ease of assembly.
* The T.25 external dimensions create the opportunity to:
· park at 90 degrees to the curb, offering real consumer benefits,
· park up to 3 cars in one parallel parking space – giving rise to lower parking charges.
· increase traffic flow,
· explore the possibility of 2 vehicles travelling and overtaking in one conventional lane. Combining this with the car length has the potential to triple lane usage at peak times.
· reduce the environmental impact of vehicle manufacture (ie: lower material content etc) and day-to-day operation.
* The central driving position generates:
· A unique, ‘cool’ and fun driving experience,
· promotes safety and ease of parking as a result of excellent all-round visibility and road awareness,
· the opportunity to offer a single-seater option with retrofit bolt-in rear seats,
· class-leading rear passenger leg room (better than most ‘B-Segment’ cars).
* By virtue of the unique door opening system, the T.25 can:
· be parked in very close proximity to other objects and still allow occupants to enter and exit the vehicle. This gives rise to,
· park 2 in one domestic garage,
· allow occupants access from both sides of the vehicle,
· allow easy access to the driver’s seat and easy access to the rear child seats.
* The ultra lightweight by design (approximately 550kg) means that:
· component life is increased
· reduced energy is required to power vehicle, giving rise to higher fuel efficiency (mpg/electric battery range).
· a competitive power to weight ratio is achieved
* A world-leading 6 metre turning circle will enhance urban manoeuvring and parking.
* Body panels in the lower periphery of the car are all mechanically affixed and have split lines which are sympathetic to accident damage replacement, leading to rapid assembly times and low cost accident repair.
* First car in class to feature lightweight, low cost independent rear suspension.
* Wing mirrors are within the overall width of the body, thereby minimising accidental damage and subsequent mirror replacement.
* Design for purpose means that the vehicle has excellent pedestrian impact qualities.
* The inclusion of Formula 1 derived materials philosophy and technology coupled with chassis frame design (‘Direct Load Path’) gives an immensely strong structure (‘safety cell’) both in ‘end’ and ‘side’ impact scenarios. This is also designed to meet the cost targets of high volume production.
* Flat under-floor improves aerodynamic efficiency.
* Class-leading vehicle dynamics
* High level turn indicators for good visibility.
* Positioning of the fuel filler permits refueling from either side of the vehicle.
* Centralised driving instrumentation and controls are designed to maximize drive control.
* Six internal layout options with rear seat adjustment (adjustable within 20 seconds) sets new standards in small vehicle packaging – a long way in front of the Smart For 2 and the Toyota iQ.
* Occupant capacity of between 1 and 3 persons. Luggage capacity of between 160 litres and 720 litres.
* The T.25 has the potential to be first to market for a new “World Car Class” for efficient vehicles, demonstrating new levels of efficiency and low emissions – creating excellent publicity and marketing opportunities.
Click images to view Gallery
Resource images by PhotoCarSpeed