2010 Lancia Stratos Concept
In November 2010, forty years after the Stratos’ presentation at the Turin Motor Show, the New Stratos was publicly presented for the first time at the Paul Ricard Circuit – the legend returns.
The Lancia Stratos Concept not only single-handedly rewrote the history of rallying, it won a permanent place in the hearts of its countless fans with its dramatic performance on the world’s asphalt and gravel tracks – a performance which included three successive world championship titles.
Engineering the new Stratos. the goal for the development of the Lancia Stratos HF’s successor was to once again create a mid-engine sports car with a short wheelbase, low weight and superior agility.
The New Stratos using components of the Ferrari 430 Scuderia. Almost all of these components have been modified. The aluminum chassis was shortened by 20cm and welded to a roll cage made of 40mm-thick FIA FE45 steel. This method significantly increases rigidity, and this, combined with the shifting of the center of gravity towards the front.
The chassis was completely reengineered by the ZF Sachs engineers, including integration of new electronic damper calibration, adjustable via the steering wheel, modified springs and optimized camber and toe values. The 9 and 11-inch wide by 19-inch center lock wheels are fitted with Dunlop Sport Maxx tires, sizes 265/30/19 and 315/30/19.
The interior are constructed entirely of carbon fiber and aluminum. All of the body components of the shell and interior are made of visible carbon. This places especially high demands on the quality of the processing, which was accomplished by Re Fraschini.
The centerpiece of the New Lancia Stratos is the 4.3L, light alloy V8 engine from the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, which accelerates the high tech sports car to a speed of 200 km/h in 9.7 seconds. The high performance engine which draws its intake air from the roof spoiler’s side openings, has been equipped with a new control unit and a high-performance exhaust system by Capristo, including manifold and sports cat exhaust system; it delivers 540 hp and provides a torque of over 500 Nm.
The steering has been converted to electro-hydraulic, the new smaller carbon steering wheel displays the exact shift points via differently colored LEDs and the paddle shifters are from the Ferrari 430 racecar.
The battery is a lithium unit in a carbon casing, with a weight of 4.2kg and a capacity of 84 Ah.
- Length: 4181 mm
- Width: 1971 mm
- Height: 1240 mm
- Front track: 1668 mm
- Rear track: 1701 mm
- Wheelbase: 2400 mm
- Front overhang: 968 mm
- Rear overhang: 813 mm
- Dry Weight: 1247 kg
- Weight distribution: 44% front 56% rear
- Aluminium profile: Scuderia chassis, 20 cm shortened
- Welded roll cage: FIA FE45 steel, 40 x 2,5 mm
- Full carbon fiber body and interior: Visible carbon (Re Fraschini)
- Cw (at 140km/h): 0.357
- A: 2.07
- Cw x A: 0.738
- Cylinders: 8
- Engine capacity: 4308 cm³
- Engine control unit: Bosch, update
- Exhaust: High-performance system with free-flow manifold and sports catalytic converter (Capristo)
- Maximum power: 540hp (397 kW) @ 8200 rpm
- Torque: > 500 Nm @ 3750 rpm
- Power-to-weight ratio: 2.3kg/hp
- 6 speed sequential gearbox with mechanical variable differential (Drexler): Fast gear changes at less than 60 milliseconds
- Gear Ratio: 4.3 / 5.0
- Electronic suspension system CDC® (ZF Sachs)
- Spring front: Eibach, 120 N/mm
- Spring rear: Eibach, 180 N/mm
- Dampers: Hydraulic aluminum twintube shocks with electronic-controlled proportioning valves
- Front/Rear axle: Hub SKF with central fixing
Wheels & Tyres
- Center-lock rims size front: 9J x 19″ EH2 (Fondmetal)
- Center-lock rims size rear: 11J x 19″ EH2 (Fondmetal)
- Offset front rim: ET 38
- Offset rear rim: ET 5
- Tyres front: 265 / 30 19″ (Dunlop Sport Maxx)
- o Tyres rear: 315 / 30 19″ (Dunlop Sport Maxx)
- Carbon disk front: 398 mm x 36 mm (Brembo)
- Carbon disk rear: 350 mm x 34 mm (Brembo)
- Brake caliper front: 6 pot
- Brake caliper rear: 4 pot
- Pads: XAS 4499 (Brembo)
- Brake lines: Steel flex lines
- Head lights: Bi Xenon (Hella)
- Rear lights: LED-Ferrari 599
- Front wiper system: 1 blade
- Exterior mirrors: Electric switch and side indicator
- Window regulator: Lightweight regulator with anti-trap technology (Brose)
- Windshield and side windows: 3.76 mm and 4 mm thin window glass
- 6-Point Harnesses, 3″ Width (Willans)
- Electro-hydraulic power steering pump
- New carbon steering wheel with multicoloured LEDs
- 2 outboard aluminium fuel tanks, capacity 90 litres
- 84 Ah Lithium Ion Battery in carbon housing, weight 4.2 kg
- Engine control unit
- Window regulator (anti-trap)
- Electronic suspension system CDC® (ZF Sachs)
- Door locks and bonnets
Click images to view gallery
Resource images by PhotoCarSpeed